Thursday, September 6, 2012

Art is Art

Sometimes when I show something I have drawn or painted,  people tell me, "I can't draw a straight line with a ruler."

That's art, I always think. That's art.

A straight line is just a straight line. We all have art in us, and it doesn't always start with straight lines or realistic renderings. Art is art. It comes from within, and it's different for every person. Art is pure expression, and it's not right or wrong.

Yes, art can be very technical or very free. Art can be pleasing as well as shocking. It is expression, feeling, and passion. It's just art.

I like landscapes, dogs, and impressionism. I practice that in my painting. Sometimes I get frustrated at how something comes out, but always, always, I am totally at ease when I have a brush and paint in my hands. I love to express, and I love doing it with passion. I escape completely, and I am at rest. It's what I was born to do.

I haven't always liked my art. But now I do....I realize whatever comes out of me is what the Creator placed in me, and part of my self  - my essence - gets recorded and imprinted on a canvas or paper. And it's real - it's my art.

So I won't be drawing straight lines with a ruler. That's tracing.

I like art.

Painting out at Cibolo Nature Center

1 comment:

  1. Pauly I enjoy your writing as well as your art! The passion is evident in all you do! This is a wonderful photograph of you painting. We look forward to seeing you again and certainly seeing this painting!

    ReplyDelete