Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Broken relationships

Relationships are broken by choices, not by sin. If that were not true, our relationship with God would be trash. Grace doesn't turn the other way when we are stupid - it covers us and brings us back to right relationship, balance, peace, and wholeness.

I think the key to spiritual wholeness is understanding grace, compassion, and forgiveness. It's easy to turn our backs on someone, blaming sin or some offense. Justifiably, people can be offensive. Relationships are messy, at best, and they take committment and work from both parties.

Groups are an interesting dynamic - especially churches. Groups accept people as long as they fit the mold for the group. Churches preach grace, compassion, and forgiveness, but the group mentality turns its back easily when one of the members in is non-compliance or does something shocking or out of the ordinary.

Forgiveness and healing - especially to the offender, but also to the offended - start with grace, compassion, and forgiveness.One of the easiest ways I have learned to bring up those things is to know that I already have possession of those qualities - they are inside of me - and all I have to do is remember what I am like, what I have done, and what forgiveness I have recieved.

I challenge you today to think about a broken relationship, a breach of trust, or an offense. And then think about your response. Is it graceful? Is it compassionate? Is it forgiving? Is it bringing you to peace and wholeness, or is it separating you from balance and truly spiritual relationships? What's the right thing to do?

Much love. pt

No comments:

Post a Comment