Sunday, April 21, 2013

Terlingua Sunrise

One of the joys of having some time off and relaxing in Terlingua is waking up, pouring myself a cup of coffee, spiking it up with some bourbon, and sitting out on the front porch will Bill Zaner watching the sunrise over the mountains. The day starts quietly, usually with me and Bill on the deck, no one saying a word, and we are soon joined by David, then the rest of the group starts stirring.
It's a kind of Zen moment. No one says a word, because no words are necessary. It's a sacred time to sit, reflect, and observe. As the sun rises, the day awakens the little town of Terlingua, and one can see people moving about. I get up to fix breakfast as people begin arriving, and we talk about where we'll go paint that day. Plans are made, breakfast is eaten, showers are done, and everyone get ready within a short time, and we're off. It's a blessed time, and one I miss, as I frequently think  about it. Sometimes, when the time is right, I escape my desk, and go watch the sunrise at work before I begin my day - coffee in hand (without the bourbon), and I think about being out west, watching Terlingua awaken.



Terlingua Sunrise, Illuminating Maverick Mountain and Pulliam Bluff. Oil on Panel, 11" x 14"

No comments:

Post a Comment