Sunday, August 4, 2013

New work

I've painted a lot down on the Cibolo Creek at the Cibolo Nature Center in Boerne, TX. Rarely do I ever see anyone out there while I sit by the creek for several hours. My favorite spot is about a 6 or 7 minute hike from the parking lot to an out-of-the-way and somewhat hidden location right next to a bend in the creek. There is a fallen log that crosses (and appears to end) a creekside trail. The floor is criss-crossed with cypress roots and one must walk carefully to avoid tripping. It has been my favorite place since I started going there. The log is in just the right position for me to use as both a seat and a table for my brushes. It offers a perfect view upstream, with a smooth water surface reflecting the 50-60' cypress trees. The creek is only 25-30 yards wide, and where I sit there is a narrow spot between the roots where the water flows gently over the rocks and between the roots. It's quiet, and one can hear the birds, cicadas, frogs, and the occasional heron that graces the water. It is truly an inspirational place to paint, and sometimes I just sit there for an hour or so before I even set up.

I love getting out there right around or right after sunrise. As time passes, and the sun peeks through the trees, and the light constantly changes, creating some dramatic highlights on the edges of the cypress trees, and some strong shadows and light on and through the water. For a plein-air painter, it abounds with subject matter. Being right next to the water, and under the shade of the trees offers a cool place that is 10-15 degrees cooler than up on the trail. I can usually stay out there until noon, and not break a sweat - even when it's 90 degrees or more outside.

Here is my latest completed painting. Imagine being there as you view it.
Cypress Trees along the Cibolo, Oil on panel, 14" x 18" - SOLD

1 comment:

  1. It looks peaceful -- and congratulations on the sale. If you are ever inclined to head up toward Cove way to exhibit (and sell), Frames and Things in Cove Terrace now has a lively "First Friday" that's been going on for several years. I believe the shop owner (Robert Weidinger -- the shop has a Facebook page and web site) starts selecting monthly exhibitors for the following year every fall. The place is usually packed on First Fridays, with plenty of terrific appetizers, good wine, live music, and interesting people. He's let me sell my books on a couple of First Friday exhibit nights. Visiting artists usually do quite well and have their pieces featured for the month to show -- and sell.

    ReplyDelete