Monday, November 12, 2012

More paintings from the week

I have really enjoyed these little palette knife paintings. It's really cool to use color and texture together, and be able to cover a surface with a single stroke. I can get a more consistent color by mixing it first on the palette, then using a knife to spread it.

This was one I did before sunset. The movement of the sun changes the colors each minute, so it's hard to capture from one minute to the next. It was causing some cool coloration on the top of Tule mountain. One thing I enjoyed about Terlingua was the quiet. But the moving lights and the changing colors seemed to provide their own music on the landscape.
"Tule Mountain Near Sunset" Oil on board, 4" x 5"
"Cypress Preparing for Fall" Oil on board, 4" x 5"
 Bill Zaner always says to paint what you know, not what you see. I remembered this scene from the Cibolo Nature Center, and right now the leaves on the cypress trees are turning color. This was a fun little painting of one of my favorite places on earth.
























This little house has been challenging me for months. I finally attacked it with a palette knife and had a nice outcome. It will not be the last time I paint this ruddy little building.
"Robert E. Lee House in Boerne, TX" Oil on board, 5" x 7"

No comments:

Post a Comment