Sunday, June 30, 2013

New work

Summer days start early. The sun rises at 6:30 or so, and it's twilight by 6:00. Once the sun is up though, it can heat up in a hurry. I like that cool part of the morning - it's quiet, people are still stirring, but the birds are lively, and there is still plenty of wildlife up and around. The hills around here have an abundance of deer, rabbits, roadrunners, raccoons, etc...  it's a perfect time to be up and around. And a perfect time to paint.
With yesterday's temps being over 100°F, it was critical for me to begin early. I was determined to finish a painting before I left, and I was able to do that, as well as a couple of pencil sketches, and start another oil painting. I am practicing painting fast, challenging myself to stay loose and work with my pallet knife, and limited color pallet. So far, I am digging what's coming out.
I am missing one thing though - I want some painting partners. I learn so much seeing what others are doing, how they compose a subject, how they mix colors, how they do different things. If anyone out there reading this would like to join me, please send me a note or give me a call and let me know. I would really appreciate it!
My friend Lora has 4 longhorn cattle, and a nice herd of deer that feed in her pasture. Her husband had put out about 1000 lbs. of carrots in the pasture, and the cows and the deer were happily grazing when I got there. I did this quick painting of Faith, one of the cows. I also took a lot of pictures, and a couple of sketches. Here is the finished painting.
"Faith" Oil on canvas panel, 8" x 8"
I kept it as loose as I could and it took me about 2 hours to finish. I still think I want to work faster. But this is working now...

No comments:

Post a Comment