Tuesday, June 19, 2012

A 100 tree project

I love trees since I have started learning to draw and paint them. I have been studying trees, especially oak trees for more than a month now. I am amazed at what I see and what I have been able to do to render on paper the shape, depth, colors, and values. Trees are amazing. The same tree from different angles or at different times of the day can look many different ways.
They are living, moving, ever-changing subjects. To capture that life, that depth, one must study and see more than what the eyes see. It's windy out today. The trees are in motion. I wonder if I can capture that in a drawing?

I have a challenge to myself - I want to draw/paint 100 trees by the end of August. That gives me roughly 71 days to complete that challenge - a little more than 1 tree per day. I'll start here with one I just finished. 
Oak on the shore at Boerne Lake
These trees are across the parking lot from where I live - I can sit in our swing and look at them


No comments:

Post a Comment