Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Tree # 3

97 more to go. I was looking for a particular tree - or actually a place I know there to have a couple of old trees that have some historical significance to Boerne's roots - when I ran across this beauty in a section of the Boerne Cemetery. When I saw this majestic oak, I knew I had to include it in my project.
I am still working on light and depth, but I am capturing it with more ease as I continue on my studies. Practice. Doing, not just thinking. I am anxious to start painting, but I am being held back by the principle of observation and application - more practice. More doing.
I had a somewhat disappointing day this morning, but the day ended well. I realized the best way for me to get better at my work is to continue doing it - Practice. Doing, not just thinking. So I overheard a way I could improve myself today, and practiced it. It was a simple thing, really, and because it made sense, I wanted to try it. I found myself overcoming a major hurdle and succeeding in doing what I need to do.
So I find myself thinking sometimes why I am where I am, and I just keep thinking, it pays for my art supplies, allows us a lot of freedom to live the way we like to live, and helps us get ahead, a little at a time, slow and steady, like the turtle that beat the hare.
So back to drawing and painting... one tree at a time, I will continue to move forward, and my work will improve.
Here's # 3
Boerne Oak # 3 pencil on bristol, 2.75" x 4.5"

1 comment:

  1. It is true slow and steady win the race. I often find myself looking and planning to far in the future and getting frustrated when I have to wait. When I slow down and take it one day at a time, i find I am satisfied with all I have accomplished and can move onto the next day.
    Great tree by the way, I am still conquering flowers and grass!

    ReplyDelete